RexDesktop 2.0

Anything that shouldn't clutter up the primary best practices mission of this forum.

RexDesktop 2.0

Postby DaBlackberryBoy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:17 am

How is it coming? I have seen posts all over the board about it coming soon, possibly having certain features. Any updates? Thx!
DaBlackberryBoy 8-)
-- http://wardsmitchelljr.com --
DaBlackberryBoy

Re: RexDesktop 2.0

Postby DaBlackberryBoy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:05 am

bump
DaBlackberryBoy 8-)
DaBlackberryBoy

Postby djm » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:32 pm

An update would be appreciated -- even one that has a sufficient number of caveats to protect against the literalist whiners who plague everyone's existence.
djm

Postby REX.bob » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:34 am

Things take longer than developers imagine. We found some original 2.0 design assumption problems and ultimately had to take a step back and rework sync components between REXdesktop 2.0 and the server data stores. That has set us back some number of months and some tweaking in the sync area is still going on.

The project / effort continues, it will get to the finish line, but it is not ready for beta and development has stopped giving out dates. You must understand that REXdesktop 2.0 has the potential of messing up people's data if synchronization is not handle with utmost care - this is not like we are adding on a small sized feature with limited downside if it is a bit wrong - it has to be 100% exactly right. REXdesktop 1.0, for all its issues, does have a solid-as-a-rock sync. The new sync has to handle a much speedier model, which only writes the minimum of stuff back and forth to make the user experience fast and crisp.

Not sure what else we can say but we are working steadily toward the goal.

Bob
REXwireless Support.Center
REX.bob

Postby djm » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:59 pm

Bob,

Thank you for the candid update. I know that many of us -- not all, I am sure -- but many of us understand perfectly the hiccups and headaches that can come when trying to implement these changes. FWIW I want to put my vote out there that I want stability and quality more than speed, and I appreciate the fact that you are working in that vein as well. I am certain that most of the people who are frequent contributors here will share that sentiment. Having said that, I also want to say that I also appreciate the update. Thanks for that.

My best,

David
djm

Postby DaBlackberryBoy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:41 pm

djm wrote:Bob,

Thank you for the candid update. I know that many of us -- not all, I am sure -- but many of us understand perfectly the hiccups and headaches that can come when trying to implement these changes. FWIW I want to put my vote out there that I want stability and quality more than speed, and I appreciate the fact that you are working in that vein as well. I am certain that most of the people who are frequent contributors here will share that sentiment. Having said that, I also want to say that I also appreciate the update. Thanks for that.

My best,

David

djm has put it right. The candidancy you show is why we stick around. Thanks for the update Bob!
DaBlackberryBoy 8-)
DaBlackberryBoy

Postby trbloomer » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:51 pm

I'd like to say thanks for the update on 2.0 as well. I can understand why its a little vague but its helpful just the same.
trbloomer

Postby DaBlackberryBoy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:59 pm

RexGals and Guys, any updates on how RD2 is coming along? I see you are heavy on iPhone development of Rex products (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=840), but any updates? :?:
DaBlackberryBoy 8-)
DaBlackberryBoy

Postby DaBlackberryBoy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:48 pm

DaBlackberryBoy wrote:RexGals and Guys, any updates on how RD2 is coming along? I see you are heavy on iPhone development of Rex products (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=840), but any updates? :?:

Rex, hello out there. How is RexDesktop 2.0 coming along? Any updates for us all? Thanks!
DaBlackberryBoy 8-)
DaBlackberryBoy

Postby djm » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:21 pm

Echo that. I too would appreciate an update. Are we even getting close to Beta testing?
djm

Postby REX.bob » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:03 am

Its no secret that our REXdesktop rewrite has been taken far too long. No one wants it released more than we do. We have recently changed lead programmers in hopes of getting it out more quickly. A subsequent decision was made to change toolsets for the UI component. Progress is being made but we have no date that can be offered at this time. We wish we could just pick a date and make it so, but so far, that has not proved to be a successful plan.

Regards,

Bob
REXwireless Support Center
REX.bob

Postby DaBlackberryBoy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:20 am

REX.bob wrote:Its no secret that our REXdesktop rewrite has been taken far too long. No one wants it released more than we do. We have recently changed lead programmers in hopes of getting it out more quickly. A subsequent decision was made to change toolsets for the UI component. Progress is being made but we have no date that can be offered at this time. We wish we could just pick a date and make it so, but so far, that has not proved to be a successful plan.

Regards,

Bob
REXwireless Support Center

No worries. This update is good enough. Sorry to hear about the programmer issues. I am in Dallas, maybe I can come help!!! LOL
DaBlackberryBoy 8-)
DaBlackberryBoy

Postby djm » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:31 pm

Sorry to hear about the problems; that is never a good thing and is not good for the business internally nor with client relations. I hope that the headaches stop and progress commences.

Regardless, thanks for the update. I suspect that I speak for many when I say that sometimes news -- even not good news -- is better than no news.

David

Oh, and for what it's worth, it wouldn't matter where I was, because my programming skills wouldn't help you one bit!
djm

Postby im0rris » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:11 pm

Hello Rex folks. Well, now I have a vested interest in 2.0. We're signing up for TWM and one of the fellas REALLY wants to be able to see stuff on a larger screen with larger keys. I'm not begging or anything but pleeeaaaassee, is it coming soon? I know you got bit when you gave a date earlier, but, well ... you know. ;) Thanks.
im0rris

Return to Off Topic Catch-All