So what do you think of the iphone?

Anything that shouldn't clutter up the primary best practices mission of this forum.

So what do you think of the iphone?

Postby mgerbasio » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:39 pm

Its been quite here for the last couple of weeks. Figured I'd throw this out for comment. I haven't been keeping up with the iphone 3Gs but read some really good reviews today. So, is RW considering an iphone port of the Matrix software?

I'd consider jumping ship from a Bold to an iphone now that my email is considerably less being off BES. The one thing I would miss (other than RW software of course) is Blackberry Messenger, maybe podtrapper too.

Regards-Michael G.
mgerbasio

Re: So what do you think of the iphone?

Postby SVF » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:39 pm

WOW... and you publicly admit this. My wife wants an iphone too. Just poking fun. I've appreciated some of your posts here and elsewhere but an Iphone.
I guess it really depends on what it does for you. Perhaps a Storm would be a good intermediary. The fundamental differences are 'Media Centric' watchers and 'Data Centric' do'ers. TMX (in my view) clearly falls in the 'DO' camp.
SVF

Postby mgerbasio » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:20 pm

I guess I get bored. I'm a long time ipod user and bought an Apple Air about a year ago when they first came out. It's my first and last Apple notebook. However, the ipod is still a terrific device.

Two things I don't like about the iphone is no mircosd and the phone didn't get such good reviews for sound quality. But, the user interface is really terrific from playing with the ipod touch, there's lots of software available, better browser and larger screen.

The Bold does pretty much everything I need but yea, a Storm 2 might be good. I no longer have access to BES so my email from the Bold is considerable cut back and is more reading then sending so a hard keypad isn't a priority (probably until I don't have one).

Regards-Michael G.
mgerbasio

Postby SVF » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:51 pm

I hope you know I was truly (mostly) kidding. The IPhone is so far superior to ANY Blackberry at what it does but not even in the same league with what it doesn't. We have Ipods O'plenty but I have become numb to the myriad of devices and technology around me so give me a BlackBerry (preferably the Bold) and I'll live with the absence of 'Tooty Fruity'. I wonder if the IPhone can copy and paste yet. Hmmm.

Amuse- Those who don't have a BlackBerry want an IPhone. Those who have a BlackBerry don't want an IPhone.
SVF

Postby mgerbasio » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:01 am

SVF wrote:I hope you know I was truly (mostly) kidding.

Of course! Actually things have been so quite here I was hoping others would chime in, even our pals at RW.

SVF wrote:The IPhone is so far superior to ANY Blackberry at what it does but not even in the same league with what it doesn't. We have Ipods O'plenty but I have become numb to the myriad of devices and technology around me so give me a BlackBerry (preferably the Bold) and I'll live with the absence of 'Tooty Fruity'. I wonder if the IPhone can copy and paste yet. Hmmm.

Amuse- Those who don't have a BlackBerry want an IPhone. Those who have a BlackBerry don't want an IPhone.

I think they finally did add cut and paste but no multitasking. Wonder how you GPS with TomTom and get email/phone/music without multitasking. Admittedly, the blackberry bold meets all my needs for a phone/PDA except, it just doesn't have all that cool software. Probably would upgrade to a Storm 2 if AT&T carried it and it got decent reviews.

I don't listen to music on the BB and rarely on my ipod anymore. But I do like podcasts. The author of podtrapper recently did an article on BlackberryCool (or one of the BB sites), pretty lengthy. What I got out of it is that developing for the BB is extremely difficult as third party developers don't get all the API features especially for the UI.

Also, there was an article recently about 12% of iphone 3GS purchasers had switched from a BB. Not sure how accurate that is or how many people go the other way. This is best for users though as Android and RIM will need to keep pace. I'd like to see RIM do a better job of two way email reconcile, have BIS more like BES.

Regards-Michael G.
mgerbasio

Postby REX.doug » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:23 pm

The lack of multitasking OS is a real drawback for an iPhone version of TodoMatrix. There are also some other system functions lacking that we utilize heavily in the BB version of the software.

There are also business issues related to this platform. For example, there is no trial available in the Apple store, which means that $2.99 applications sell, but $29 applications (or $59 applications) do not sell. At the end of the day, we do this for a living, and we cannot provide support for $2.99 per copy.

Having said that, there is an effort underway (in the design and feasibility stage) to do an iPhone implementation of ToDo. Hopefully we'll sort all of this out. Likely that the iPhone version will not include all of the features of the BB platform.
REX.doug

Postby mgerbasio » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:39 pm

I figured you guys were at least talking about it. I was at the mall a couple of days ago and you couldn't get in the Apple store. That place in packed. I'm not sure how many people are actually buying, but they get more traffic than any other store.

Personally, I wouldn't buy another Apple PC. I bought the Air and I don't think I've ever been more disappointed with a PC purchase. At the price premium they change, support is poor, they never respond in forums or email and the product has several flaws including overheating and wifi not working.

Regards-Michael G.
mgerbasio

Postby mgerbasio » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:24 am

Here's an article I thought was interesting about RIM and the iphone:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/06/ ... hey-going/

I agree with this and makes me think of the days when the Palm Pilot ruled the world.

Regards-Michael G.
mgerbasio

Postby REX.doug » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:39 pm

I guess that nobody rules the world forever.

:)
REX.doug

Postby SVF » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:17 pm

Alexander The Great had a pretty good run although a bit short. Today, with so much merging, consolidation and contraction generally it seems RIM my need to get a grip. Great hardware developed and delivered at the current pace may ironically be a decline for BlackBerry in the not so distant future. There is only so much you can put in a human hand until ultimately the OS and Apllications become the 'Thing'. No doubt RIM has development ongoing for the medium to long term but the question is will BlackBerry razzle dazzle devices give them enough time to deliver before the competition eats their market. Truly it is tough to stay on top but I would argue that it's even harder getting there. Forget about BB OS 5.0, 10.0 and lets get XR1.0 for the new evolution.
- how about hybrids; kinda contemporary these days. Anyone for a BlackApple I-Bone or AppleBerry Onyx or even a BlackBerry Touchscreen.. nah that would be ridiculous.

Seriously though, REX products provide the function I need so as long as RIM and REX stay close I'll be ok.
SVF

Postby Robbyvegas » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:28 pm

So now that the iOS 4 supports multi-tasking, and there are $50.00 apps out there, will you please consider a version of TDMatrix for the iPhone and iPad? I'd especially like to see it on the iPad. Killer app. Other programs for the iPad aren't as effective (see e.g. OmniFocus which is decent but lacks many of the features that I really love about TDMatrix). Any chance?
Robbyvegas

Return to Off Topic Catch-All